Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Operation Research(OR) - Solve Real World Problems ? - Part 1

Yesterday(13-Dec-2005) my wife asked me whether I could teach OR paper for her MBA exams. I said yes confidently. But the truth of fact I don't remember OR which i studied way back in Five Semester in Engineering degree. I am not ask ing for excuse. Any how I made a attempt to galance through the chapters. OR is basically special branch of mathematics which is supposed to solve complex problems for managment people. Some of the chapter included in the OR papers are Linear Programming there are several methods Simplex method Graphical Method, Gaming theory , Transportaion Problems etc. I had looked at the Linear programming chapter and was trying to corelate the existing business problem which managment are facing. Typical example could be Resource allocation in software project.How Linear programming can efficiently solve this problem. Basically the idea of linear programming and OR in general is to find a optimal solution for given problem.

eg:
Maximise
Z= 1x1+2x2

x1,x2 can be called decision variables

the below are called constraints
1x1+2x2 >10
2x1+4x5> 10

x1,x2>0

I will continue to update this article.